THE ORIGINAL J'ACCUSE PAGE

SEARCH THE ARCHIVES

mercredi, juillet 27, 2005

A Moving Faith


This piece of news on the BBC website grabbed my attention. After this morning's symbological news, another venture into the world of semiotics is necessary. Apparently a statue of the Madonna (the Holy one and not the singer of "Like a Virgin") is moving the crowds towards a small town in Naples because of the way it turns flesh-coloured and moves. One woman even saw the madonna's ear-lobe turn pink.

I feel that this kind of news should be viewed as seriously as manifestations of the messiah's face on toast (later to be sold on eBay). What kind of believer would actually accept that Our Lady has nothing better to do than to play fleshy peek-a-boo from within a statue in Naples?

I rmember religion lessons with Brother Mifsud at SAC. One of the basics impounded into us was the fact that faith is there when you have no proof. You cannot believe in the sun... it is there... there is nothing to believe. I like to believe in a more discerning Madonna who would restrict appearances to the necessary and, more importantly, to the effective - and not to a quasi-circus act not too far from the Bearded Lady. Can we be so stupid?

Something in the way she moves,
attracts me like no other lover.
Something in the way she woos me.

I don't want to leave her now.
You know I believe her now.

Somewhere in her smile she knows,
that I don't need no other lover.
Something in her style that shows me.

Don't want to leave her now.
You know I believe her now.

You're asking me will my love grow.
I don't know, I don't know.
You stick around now it may show.
I don't know, I don't know.

Something in the way she knows,
and all I have to do is think of her.
Something in the things she shows me.

Don't want to leave her now.
You know I believe her now.

Something
(Harrison)
Recorded: April 16, May 2, 5, Julay 11, 16 and August 15, 1969, Abbey Road Studios, London

2 commentaires:

Erezija a dit…

wouldn't it have been better if you stuck "Something" on your jukebox instead of Motley Crue?

Jacques René Zammit a dit…

yes.

but could not convert my cd file to mp3:)