THE ORIGINAL J'ACCUSE PAGE

SEARCH THE ARCHIVES

lundi, janvier 23, 2006

Pass the Duchy (on the Left Hand Side)


Egad. It is happening. I have been a non-smoker for almost eight months now - ever since I kicked the habit with gusto watching that lovely Champion's league final. I smoked my last pack watching Liverpool down Milan in the most slapstick of finals I have ever seen. I still cannot decide whether it is Jerzy Dudek's dance or Bruce Grobelaar's shimmy that gave me most satisfaction. In truth it is the losses of Roma and Milan in the final that are most rewarding.

But I digress. So I kicked the habit the same day Liverpool kicked ass. I had decided enough is enough a few days earlier when I almost collapsed with my lungs ablazing while playing a bit of footie with friends. My recovery from the limbo of smoking has not been as speedy as a Liverpool 1-2-3 knockout but it has been steady and unswavering. I have developed a distaste for all things tobacco and have not craved the damned shag (of the halfzware kind) for one instant.

The main problem now is that I have trouble staying in bars, pubs or restaurants in Luxembourg because, unlike Malta, Italy and Ireland, smoking in the Duchy is still allowed everywhere. And I have begun to hate the smell of it in the air. I do not enjoy a night at the pub because of the breathing and because of the lingering smell on my clothes. I would never have imagined that I would become such an intolerant person towards the habit.... but hey even Saint Paul saw the light. So....

The following news is why I am elated. It was reported among other interesting items like "Stabbed man critical" and "Learner driver caught". Finally, and hopefully soon, the public places of Luxembourg will be free from fumes...

"The Luxembourg government has decided to ban smoking in public places in Luxembourg. (...) The draft legislation is aimed at banning smoking in restaurants and bakeries, as well as in bistros which offer daily menus ("Menu du Jour" or "Plat de Jour"). Restaurant and Bistro owners can provide a completely separate area for smokers, if they so wish: this exception will cater for their customers who wish to smoke in restaurants, but without affecting the main food serving and eating area."

As you can see the ban is applied to the bare minimum - eateries. No pubs and no bars. The only effect will be probably like in the UK where the few snacks available in pubs vanish in order to allow smoking to remain (because smoking is banned only in places where food is prepared to be consumed - and this does not include Walker's crisps). Well, it is a good start. Though definitely not enough. I will only be happy when I can go to my pub and have a drink without having to look through the fumes to find my glass.

Picture: Musical Youth - eighties reggae band singers of the song Pass the dutchie on the left hand side - "dutchie" being an allusion to a marijuana joint (a.k.a. kutchie).

2 commentaires:

noel tanti a dit…

funny...

after the said champions league final my cigarette intake doubled in a matter of minutes...

la magia del calcio, as they say...

Peklectrick a dit…

what do you mean 'unlike Malta'...You haven't been to Paceville in a while I guess...